Property Title Searches in Indiana (IN)
Indiana, known as the Hoosier State, is the 17th most populous state with nearly seven million residents. Its capital and largest city is Indianapolis. Indiana hosts many major sporting events such as the Indianapolis 500, drawing in crowds of tourists each year.
Why is a Property Title Search Necessary in Indiana?
A property title search is necessary to ensure there are no clouds on the title, and to identify all liens on the property. Existing liens such as code enforcement liens as well as delinquent taxes will attach to the property. This means that even after the property has been sold, the debt will become the new owner’s responsibility.
How Much is an Indiana Property Search?
Type of Search
O&E Report (Residential)
Two Owner Search (Residential)
30-Year Search (Residential)
Commercial O&E Report
How to Complete a Property Title Search in Indiana
- Locate the real estate on the assessor’s page and obtain the assessed value, parcel number and other pertinent information.
- Review the tax status from the county tax collector to determine if the taxes are paid, due or delinquent.
- Search the owner and property through the county recorder’s property records to find applicable deeds, open mortgages, mortgage associated documents, as well as any other documents that are relevent to the title.
- Foreclosure cases, judgments and liens need to be searched separately in civil records.
- State Tax Liens need to be searched separately in the State Tax Lien Registry.
Can I Conduct a Property Title Search Myself in Indiana?
It is possible to conduct a property title search yourself, but it is risky and not recommended. An experienced title company like ProTitleUSA should be used as they are qualified in deciphering what documents need to be included and what their impact is on the title. Only skilled professionals will know all of the places that need to be searched in order to complete a thorough and accurate title search.
Indiana Counties Served
Indiana is divided into the following counties:
- Saint Joseph
- White and Whitley
Frequently Asked Questions
from Customers in Indiana
How do I order a title search in IN?
“Very quick & accurate. I use ProTitle on all my real estate note deals!” –DM
“I got my report at the 72 hour mark. It was the fastest and easiest task I've had to do to sell my house.” –BP
“Excellent Customer Service!” –MB